Sustainable practices in Horticulture and Agriculture are fundamental to creating an environmentally sound future. Baileys Fertilisers have always utilised technologies that serve to reduce the environmental impact of intensive crop production. Our on-site laboratory has an active research program to ensure we can provide our clients with the most advanced technologies available. Baileys Fertilisers adhere to our Environmental Policy (below) and take the goal of responsible environmental stewardship seriously. Our staff are trained in the nationally accredited program Fertcare aimed at reducing environmental and health risks. We utilise recycled products and biodegradable packaging where possible and are part of a national packaging covenant intended to reduce plastic waste that may end up in land fill.
We are committed to responsible natural resource and environmental management. Within our operations we identify and manage environmental risks and apply best practice principles to the prevention of adverse impacts. We work with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to develop products and practices that enhance the environment of the wider community in which we operate.
Our Policy Objectives
- Ensure that environmental considerations form part of our enterprise planning.
- Meet relevant government environmental and natural resource management legislation and industry regulations, guidelines and policies.
- Implement EcohortTM an Environmental Management System which is independently audited through the Nursery Industry Accreditation Scheme Australia (NIASA) to manage and continually improve environmental performance.
- To achieve accreditation to the internationally recognised environmental Standard ISO 14001.
- Ensure efficient use, reuse and recycling of appropriate resources and the minimisation of waste.
- Quantify our carbon output and implement strategies to reduce or offset our greenhouse gas emissions.
- Promote a culture of responsible environmental management to employees, suppliers and customers of Baileys Fertilisers.
- Fertcare Accreditation.
How to Be Water Wise & Fertiliser Wise
"Baileys is committed to ensuring you get the best result from your garden whilst protecting our precious resources and natural environment". As such Baileys are one of the leading producers and suppliers of quality water and fertilise wise products and they ask you to follow these tips to get the best from your product and from your garden:
- Plan, prepare and plant waterwise local plants.
- Use soil conditioners and wetting agents to make sure your plants get off to a great start.
- Grow local waterwise plants and feed them with Baileys controlled release fertiliser.
- Use high quality Baileys Water Saving Mulch to reduce water application and evaporation and loss of Nutrients.
- Only apply fertiliser when it is needed – look for signs that indicate fertiliser is required (i.e. yellowing, stunted growth) and only use as per Baileys recommended rates for lawns and other plant varieties, this allows the roots the chance to absorb more of the nutrients and avoids nutrient run off and environmental damage.
- If fertiliser is required select the most appropriate for your soil and crop type and apply to coincide with your crop growing cycle, refer to Bailey’s catalogue or website for more specific detail. Avoid over watering as this only flushes water passed the roots and into the groundwater system. Follow the water corporation’s recommended watering regime.
- Fertilise ‘little but often’ – Feed plants small amounts of nutrients regularly as they only absorb small amounts at a time.
- Excess plant food can leach into groundwater, streams and drains and end up in our rivers causing algal blooms.
- Water the fertiliser in after application but do not apply more than 10mm of water thereafter to ensure nutrient stays within the lawn root system.
- Use a Baileys Grosorb soil wetter to encourage effective water infiltration and Baileys Lawn Reviver to help lawns through the rigours of summer.